top of page
Connect Women in Pensions, a networking group for women working in the Irish pensions industry
Connect Women in Pensions is a network for women working n the Irish pensions industry
Connect Women in Pensions
Image Matters


Leading image consultant Frances Jones of Image Matters shared her top style and fashion tips to help women enhance their personal and professional image. Frances has been helping people reach their professional and personal goals since setting up Image Matters in 2001. Her advice to women was that "how we dress for business and carry ourselves sends some of the most powerful messages of all, but very few of us are conscious of our personal power, and even fewer understand how to harness that power and use it to our advantage.'' This was a joint event with the Women in Banking and Finance in Ireland Network.

Minister Burton shares


Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton addressed the network on how she got in to politics and why. Peggy Hughes, pensions partner, Mason, Hayes & Curran, mentioned the need for the priority order on winding up of Defined Benefit pension schemes to be amended to ease the pressure on schemes, a change which the Minister subsequently introduced. Suzanne Cashin, head of retirement asset services at Tilman Brewin Dolphin, feared the continuation of the pensions levy would make pensions less attractive. Pictured are Emer Kirk, chair Connect Women in Pensions with Minister Burton and Peggy Hughes.

We host inspirational, educational and entertaining networking events to help women working in pensions progress in their careers. Our committee plans to bring you more opportunities to connect and share experiences this year and in to the future.
Pension Adjustment Orders

Spouses and civil partners may be entitled to a large portion of their ex’s pension pot on separation or divorce. Muriel Walls (pictured), partner in Walls & Toomey solicitors, said the courts could award a wife as much as half of a 55 year old husband’s accumulated pension pot if the couple had been married for 30 years. In the case of T v T [2002] the Supreme Court dealt with a significant money case and awarded the wife 51 per cent of the value of various pension policies owned by the husband leaving 49 per cent of the value with the husband. Walls said a spouse or civil partner could expect a smaller share of the pension pot if the marriage or partnership had lasted for a shorter time.

Inspire, educate, entertain

bottom of page